
The concert was incredible. When you walk in, you recieve this snazzy ERASE HATE bracelet for the Matthew Shephard Foundation. It starts with Margaret Cho doing some standup and introduing the bands. She was awesome as usual. The first thing she asked was if were happy that Jerry Fallwell was dead. Sweet!!

The first group was The Cliks. I had never heard of them, but they were good.They did a rock cover of Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River" which was better than JT's version. Next were the highly anticipated Dresden Dolls. Again, hadn't heard of them, but most of my freinds had great things to say about them. The crowd went nuts when they were announced. They are theatrical, flambouyant, and fun. Quite an unusual group, I still can't get "Coin Operated Boy" out of my head. I'm not sure I love them, but I they were entertaining.
Then came on, as Margaret Cho announced, "an ICON" - Debbie Harry. I was very dissappointed with her. She looked amazing for being 60. But she did no Blondie songs and the crowd was obviously not into her. A friend of mine said she looked as if she was reading from a teleprompter. Come on Debbie, just one Blondie song would have been nice.
Then came the two acts we all were waiting for Erasure and Cyndi Lauper. Erasure was spectacular. I had never seen them before, but have been a huge fan of theirs. Andy Bell, the lead singer, was awesome. The crowd really got going with "Chains of Love" and "A Little Respect". They ended with "Oh La'mour", my personal fav. Fabulous!!!!

Then came the diva herself, Miss Cyndi. Tim and I have seen her 6 times previously, so we knew she wouldn't let us down. She sang alot of oldies, "Goonies R Good Enough", "Time After Time", and "She Bop". Miss thing came out with a red wig and wearing a rainbow feathered hat! Fabulous. The finale had all the artists together, sans Debbie Harry (hmmmm, wonder if she was pissed because we didn't like her), to sing "True Colors". It was simply spectacular.
The crowd was not so spectacular. In a town were next week, 100,000 people will line High Street for the Pride Parade, only 3,000 showed up for this event. Sad. The queens of Columbus should be ashamed. There is little hope of us ever getting another big show like this one in town anytime soon. SAD!!!!
2 comments:
Once again...I'm soooo Jealous!!!! This town isn't nearly gay enough for an old hag like me. Most of the gays here are so far in their closets you'd need night vision goggles to see them!
Hey Ron! I'm so jealous. I should be in town for Pride next weekend. I want to see you!!!
XOXO
Paula
Post a Comment