President-elect Obama has picked Rev. Rick Warren to deleiver the innvocation at his inauguration. Rick Warren’s vocal support for California’s Proposition 8, as well as his public statements equating homosexuality with pedophilia and an array of other anti-LGBT sentiments — his selection for such a visible and prominent role in the inauguration is insulting and hurtful to LGBT people.The choice of Rev. Warren also belies Obama’s calls to religious leaders to own up to the homophobia and racism that has stood in the way of combating HIV/AIDS in this country, as well as public calls for religious leaders to open their hearts to their LGBT family members, neighbors and friends. Copied from HRC Newsletter 12/21/2008
I knew Obama would not support LGBT issues once he was in power. Once a homophobe, always a homophobe. I shouldn't be surprised. After he declared that he was opposed to gay marriage, I knew the gay community couldn't rely on him. I should have stuck to my guns and wrote in Hillary Clinton when I voted. But the Sarah Palin influence changed my mind. At least with McCain/Palin we knew where they stood on gay issues and wouldn't be dissapointed when they didn't deliver. My hope is that Obama takes enough heat from this controversy that it makes him keep his promises. Keep this in mind, Mr. Obama, you wouldn't have been elected without our support. We don't need 4 more years of Bush antics in the White House. Based on this, I don't have much faith that things will be any better for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment