It's looking more and more like I will be working retail again. I have no other choice. I haven't worked since February when my previous store closed, then I finished school, and had another ankle surgery, from which I am still not fully healed. The bills are starting to pile up, thus I need to work. I have applied, sent resumes, and called businesses to get some sort of marketing position (a non-commission one) with no luck. So it looks like a retail life again.
I don't hate retail. There are some aspects which I enjoy: displays, making sales goals, and helping customers. However, there are many things I loathe as well: the hours, the physical aspects (too many hours on my feet, which are in bad shape as you all know), the holiday season, and, well, customers.
My doc isn't going to be happy that I am going back to work in an industry that put me in this shape. For those of you who don't or haven't worked in retail, you won't understand how physically demanding it is. First off, most stores make you wear "dress" shoes which have little support. Combine that with being on your feet for at least 8 hours and that's how my ankle problems started. My arch collapsed following the 2004 Christmas season. After 15 years in the industry, my body couldn't take it any longer. My doc wants me to get a job where I can sit all day (who doesn't want one?). He may not even approve my release to return to work. But alas, If I want to keep my house, pay my bills, and keep my marriage healthy, I must do something.
I am most likely being offered a fulltime management position with a national specialty store. I have no other choice but to take it. My fear is that once I start working there, not only will my chances of having future ankle problems arise, but I will never be able to leave the industry which is the sole purpose for me pursuing a Master degree.
Sorry for the vent, but that's what blogs are for I guess (just ask Lothian). I'll keep you updated.
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
SOOOO, what IS the latest news? Are you gainfully employed yet??
Post a Comment